Monday, March 28, 2011

Your Title Here

Alright, Everyone!

It’s that time again, another Writers/Illustrators of the Future quarter is winding down.  Get your entries in ASAP.

My biggest obstacle this time was coming up with a decent title.  I had a long list of ok titles.  You know, those ones that fit but don’t really have that “come hither” quality.

Titles are very important to me as a consumer.  I’d say, just after the cover, the title is the most important factor in determining whether or not I pick a book up off the shelf to see what’s inside.

And in general, I tend to find Sci-fi/fantasy titles to be... horrible.  Yes, sad but true.

Why?

Simple.  Because most of them can be slapped onto any other book nearby and fit just as well.

That’s not a title.  That’s a placeholder. 

Example: Go to your favorite bookseller’s website, and look up “Ill Wind.”  Tell me how many hits you get.  And no, just because some of them have modifiers like “An” and “Yon” that does not make them different.  Can you really tell me those were the most apt, the most memorable titles that could have been assigned to those works?  How many books can you think of that you could slap that title on and never know the difference?

While you're at it, look up any of the classic sci-fi/fantasy buzzwords you can think of.  You know the ones I’m talking about.  “Blood”--If it’s on a vampire novel, I’m even less impressed.  “Dragon”--Just because they’re in there doesn’t mean you have to name your book after them.  I mean it, you don’t have to shove it down my throat that this is a fantasy novel.  “Sword”--really, the book's about a sword?  Wow, so is that book over there.

Get my drift?  I’m not saying the words should become taboo.  But how often have you seen something called “Blood Rites” or “Dagon’s Song” or “The Sword of Truth”?  If you’re going to use a buzzword, you better get damn creative with it.

I know, I know, the poor titling is not always the author’s fault.  The publisher has a big hand in labeling the books they sell.  If they don’t like an author’s title, they change it.  And hell, as the author, you want your book printed, don’t you?  Just make the change and get on with it.

I have to remind you, I’m speaking as a consumer, not as a writer.  If the publisher thinks Marina the writer will sell more copies by calling her sci-fi thriller “Prince of the Damned,” then by hell, guess what she’ll change it to?

Marina the consumer, however, doesn’t agree with the publishers.  Titles like “Mage’s blood” and “Dark God” and “Winter’s Wind” do not get me to buy books.  DO NOT.  I’m looking for something unique and interesting when I browse a bookshelf.  Something needs to jump out at me.  Do you think seeing the word “Darkness” on every other book makes me want to pick up any of them?  No. 

So, you authors who have full control over your titles, here’s my advice.  Spend more than a couple of minutes deciding what to name your story.  Sure, occasionally a title just jumps out at you, and that’s fine if it’s astute. 

Here’s the test.  If, at random, you pick five books from your personal collection and your chosen title fits at least one of them, you have more work to do. 

The title is just as important as the rest of your story.  It’s the first taste of your writing someone gets, be it a novel’s title or a short’s title.  Don’t give them wheat bread when they’re looking for an exotic pastry.  Tell them you can write a good story, just by proving you can get their attention in five words or less.

Of course, this is only my opinion.  Thoughts?

~Marina

Rejections with goal of 100:  23 (I swear there should be more coming in soon)

17 comments:

  1. ...and Marina the consumer likes talking about herself in the third person! ;-)

    Yeah, unique titles are most excellent. Sometimes, though, the author bends over backwards to give a story an awesome and original title, and after reading it, you find out the title is peripheral to the meat of the story. That annoys me almost as much as having generic titles. Titles need to be both specific/original AND highly relevant, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol--POV switch felt like the easiest way to differentiate between the two personas.

    And you are exactly right. That's what I'm advocating for--apt titles. Masterful ones. A good writer should be able to produce titles that are both interesting and informative, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I went through four titles while editing my WotF entry, and only happened on the last one an hour before I sent it out. The proof is in the pudding and the sale is in the writing - after all, in some markets the title can be changed after the story's been accepted, as it was for Jamie Ford's novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I hate choosing titles--for many of the same reasons. Sometimes a story tells you its title right from the beginning, but other times it's like pulling teeth trying to find something that fits. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't claim to think it makes a huge difference when selling to editors. Like I mentioned above, I know there are plenty of instances where publishers changed titles. And surely they wouldn't put the effort into changing something they were going to reject, right?

    And I know with WotF K.D. has mentioned that she doesn't even look at a title until she's finished reading an entry.

    But readers do. In the long run if you've written an awesome story, it'll sell. But, how many individual sales do you miss out on if your title isn't compelling? (And, of course, my definition of an astute and compelling title could be totally different from the next guy's).

    Knowing how many books I step away from each year just because the title makes me think "Hell, if the title is cliched, what must the book be like," is enough to make me think twice about going with something I deem "good enough."

    Why settle for less than great, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I know what you mean, Eileen! Thanks for the encouragement. We’ve all just got to keep plucking away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your opinions on book titles, though in my case it's mainly the cover art that truly intrigues me enough to crack the novel open and examine its contents. A truly scary thought to me is making my debut as an author with a cover that falls completely flat.

    Still, titles are almost as important. When I think of my favorite fantasy novels, titles come up like: The Eye of the World; The Name of the Wind; A Game of Thrones... sounds so simple, yet when I try to come up with names for my fantasy in works, I come up with titles that sound almost as generic as the ones you pointed out. It's a bit bizarre, because of the task of trying to sum up your novel in a few choice, tantalizing words. I recently came up with a title that I'm finally satisfied with. For now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great points, Marina. I definitely share your mentality when it comes to cliche titles suggesting a cliche novel.

    Titles are difficult, but so is writing a good story. Worth the effort, just the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it seems like the fewer words a writer is given to explain themselves in, the harder it becomes. People can write 100,000 word novels, but ask them to sum it up in a query, and they fall flat. Asking them to sum it up in an elevator-pitch is even worse. And then the title...sheesh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, have you seen this? I read that title and wondered if he was trying to fit as many generic fantasy buzzwords as possible onto one book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sheesh, no, I hadn't seen that. Given his track record, maybe it's a little tongue-in-cheek? I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate when people do what I'm about to do: tell the blogger, "Great post, but you should have..."

    But I'll do it anyway: great post, but you told us what sort of titles you don't like, and why. We should add examples of titles that we think work well, and why.

    Bard Constantine provided some good examples. I'll add one of my favorites: the classic, "Earth Abides". It sums up the tone, theme, and conclusion of the book in two simple words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I read that title and wondered if he was trying to fit as many generic fantasy buzzwords as possible onto one book cover."

    In the world of programming books, I created the Inverse Buzzword Law: the quality of the book was inversely proportional to the number of buzzwords in the title.

    "Big Book of X"? That will teach me a lot about technology X (if the author is good -- no guarantees).

    "X and Y"? Shows me how to use technology X with technology Y. Probably a good book.

    "X and Y and Z"? And beyond? It means the marketing department is slapping buzzwords on in an attempt to show up on Amazon searches.

    I once saw a book with five technology buzzwords in the title. I could never finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All good points, Martin.

    A lot of my favorite titles are Philip K. Dick titles.

    "The Man in the High Castle”: It gets you asking a good question right off the bat; who is this man? And guess what, in the end, you get to meet the man in the high castle. Intriguing and astute.

    “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” This one sums up the novel exactly, all literal and metaphorical aspects. Plus, it’s totally unique. I think this is my favorite title of all time.

    “The Minority Report” Once again, it is entirely relevant to the main conflict and concept, yet is interesting and unlikely to be duplicated.

    I could go on.

    Mr. Dick is my title idol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And FYI, I got the email from Tor today: he's serious. Or maybe it's satire. Hard to tell from the press release:

    "John Scalzi's Epic New Fantasy Series Revealed!

    "The science fiction master has traded his genre cap, working many long nights to bring you a brand new fantasy series - and you can preview it right now on Tor.com! Click here to read an excerpt from The Shadow War of the Night Dragons, Book One: The Dead City.

    "Find out what happens on a blacker than black night, when three palace guards are on watch to defend the kingdom from a deadly threat...."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear lord, does it really say "blacker than black night"?

    Must be satirical, must be...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marina, don't forget Phillip K. Dick's classic title "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale".

    ReplyDelete