Monday, September 6, 2010

Why I love the Writers of the Future Forum

Since my last post was a bit sour, I decided it was time to post a sweet.

I’ve been thinking about this a bit lately, since the forum has been so quiet and I miss the chatter--even the idle chatter.

I really love the Writers of the Future Forum. The members are incredibly supportive of each other. Everyone there is an aspirant, and most people are on roughly the same level. Instead of cut-throated-ness and catty pre-professional jealously, there’s a lot of camaraderie. Everyone is always eager to congratulate others on their successes, and to offer support when some lacking confidence in an aspect of their writing.

And what’s even better is that everyone there is opinionated. The great atmosphere hasn’t evolved from people walking on eggshells. It’s evolved from honest, straight forward, experienced-based opinions. Sure, once in a while feathers get ruffled, but that’s bound to happen when a bunch of eclectic personalities get shoved in a metaphorical room together. But everyone tends to stay respectful, even when they strongly disagree.

Perhaps it’s my in-experience with writer’s forums that has made me so fond of this particular one. I’ve only belonged to one other. It was small, and didn’t last long, and people there weren’t very nice. They were oddly arrogant for not having professional sales, and often prodded people (not in a playful way) when they did make a sale-- they tried to downplay that individual’s success because they felt it somehow reflected on their lack of success (I’m guessing, of course). It wasn’t a very nice environment, and I didn’t stay a part of it for more than a few months.

I think the Writer’s of the Future contest has created something great here beyond the fantastic opportunity and rewards they offer winning writers. They offer a place that encourages competitors to start a dialogue. The aspirants urge each other to meet their writing goals, and to get an entry in every quarter.

I’ve found it to be an enriching environment, especially since I don’t have a local writing group in which I can make connections with other people struggling through the same stages I am.

So, in short, it’s a great place. I encourage you to visit if you haven’t. The link can be found top left of my blog (the only link in the links section-- I’ve been lazy. There are a lot more links I need to add).



~Marina

3 comments:

  1. I was the guy with the largest post count on the forum, before they started having software problems and many of us got locked out. I still can't get in, otherwise I'd be posting there fairly often, cheering on everyone still trying to win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that sucks. I hope they get the kinks work out soon so that you and the others can get back in. Those of us who can log on miss our absent comrades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marina :) The forums are inspiring, espeically following people's good news, and hearing about their own issues. I've gotten some good advice by asking questions.

    ReplyDelete