Well, this is how I get into the groove, anyway. I find the title of John Scalzi’s blog-become-book, You’re Not Fooling Anyone When You Take Your Laptop to a Coffee Shop, greatly amusing, because I’m one of those weirdoes who sits in a coffee shop and writes. And believe me, my intent is not to fool, it’s to work.
I have a horrible time trying to work at home. There are tons of distractions. I have one room in the house that’s really mine (not shared with my fiancé), and that’s our funky sun-room that I’ve turned into my “office” (or rather, a studio for painting and drawing and sewing and jewelry making and, supposedly, writing). But I don’t just write there, and that’s the problem. I do tons of things in that room. And I always feel like I should be doing the dishes, or paying the bills, or, you know, watching TV when I’m at home. Home, for me, is not compatible with Marina-in-work-mode.
Second reason why I have a hard time focusing at home: I’ve trained myself that the smell and taste of coffee equal work. I don't make coffee at home, out of respect for Alex (aforementioned fiancé). He cannot stand the smell of coffee, and the taste literally makes him gag. So I don’t even make instant coffee at home to avoid stinking up the house.
So, my solution to my short at-home attention span and coffee-free environment was to find a place outside of the house to use as a workspace.
And I already had one ready-made.
Every time I go into Barns and Noble I feel like writing. It’s been that way since I can remember. Being surrounded by books makes me want to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys). So, when I began looking for a place to work, I had an easy choice right there. If I always feel like working in B&N, why shouldn’t I work in B&N?
But I spend at least the time it takes my laptop battery to run out (about 2 hours) in the coffee shop/café portion of the store. Because, A, I can get my coffee there, and B, there are tables there on which to place my laptop.
I venture to the back of the actual bookstore whenever I have need of a plug (there aren’t any in the café). In fact, most of my Q2 finalist entry was written with me cross-legged on the floor, staring at baby-name books, while trying to use my own thoughts to drown out the sounds of little children crashing toy trains together on the other side of the shelf (until one of the booksellers was nice enough to bring me a chair… he couldn’t do much about the kids). But, of course, each day I began in the coffee shop.
I’ve been going regularly to B&N for about a year now. People there know my name, they ask me why I don’t work there, they tease me about getting a plaque for the table I sit at everyday. But, what’s more, they ask me about my writing. So, mentally, I make myself accountable to those queries. They want to know about my progress, so I tell them. Perhaps they are just being polite to a frequent customer--but the fact that one of the booksellers (who also writes) likes to sit with me a few minutes and discuss books now and again suggests otherwise.
I enjoy the atmosphere there. I enjoy the people, both the employees and the other customers (though I only people-watch the patrons).
So, that’s how I channel my Mojo. I’m a coffee shop writer, and I really do write.
How do you Mojo?
~Marina
That's pretty cool. I'm just starting to figure out that my mojo is most thoroughly channeled early in the morning, before the sun has risen, preferably. I like to sit in the complete dark (with a cup of coffee, hehe) and work in Q10, which has a black background (and I've configured it to have lime-green text). This--the early hour, the darkness, my fuzzy brain, the rush of caffeine--makes me feel like I am being teleported to another dimension.
ReplyDeleteWriterania or something.
-bn
Wow, up before the crack of dawn. Can’t say my brain functions before daylight (I’m having trouble this morning- there’s a big, dark thunderstorm drenching the region and it feel like I should still be in bed). I’m the type of person who turns on every light in the house at night because I feel better when it’s bright all around (thought, weirdly, I’m a night person). So having it dark, dark, dark to get in the groove is really interesting to me- who’da thunk it?
ReplyDeleteOof, I don't do anything in the early morning unless I haven't yet gone to sleep from the night before.
ReplyDeleteThere are two circumstances in which I write: (1) Whilst out and about, scribbling away in a notebook (2) whilst at home for hours, drinking copious amounts of cold tea and tapping away on the computer.
Both circumstances are indistinguishable when it comes to quality of writing, but I've found (1) is a good way to start a story and (2) is a good way to finish it.
Working 8 to 5, part-time job on the weekends -- I don't so much channel my mojo as accumulate it. I don't write for a week or two and then I sit down and pound at the keyboard for 6 hours straight. It's horrible, I know. Maybe I'll try B&N, there's one a few minutes from here.
ReplyDeleteHey, maybe buy a netbook? 4+ hours battery life...
Hey, whatever works for you :) I'd love to sit down and write six hours straight, but only get that sort of internal thrust on occasion.
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, more battery-life would be great. I've got an I-pad (kind of ended up with it on accident), and it last forever (well, not sure exactly how long, but so far I've used is several days in a row for several hours before needing to plug in). Unfortunately, it's not very conducive with writing because of the cramped touch-keyboard and lack of Microsoft Office ware.
Next time I’m in that market for new tech I’ll keep the netbook (or, more likely, its descendants-- I don't upgrade that often) in mind.