Well, I’ve been keeping a secret for the past couple of weeks. My quarter 2 entry into the Writers of the Future contest earned one of the 8 finalist slots. I was so excited when I got the call (which I missed, I noticed I had a voicemail from an unknown number), my hands were shaking. I never expected to make this sort of progress so soon into my submissions. Hopefully it’s not a fluke!
And now I’m stressing over the final results. Gah.
Anywho, good luck to everyone else on the list, and congrats to the semi-finalists and honorable mentions!
And this is the “interest” in a story I mentioned. Luckily I was able to sort out the byline problem before the list was published.
~Marina
Wow! Ok, now I'm jealous. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks, here's hoping!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to you with the Finalist. Sitting in a Finalist slot is almost more tedious than waiting for the general results, because now your excitement (anxiety?) is amped up just that much more. Best advice would be to keep working on new projects and try not to fixate too much. I spent my first Finalist period producing very little, and was mad at myself when I didn't win AND I didn't have much new work to show for it. I made sure not to repeat that mistake when I was a Finalist the second and -- ding ding -- winning time. Anyway, good luck! And well done. You got to the very tippy-top of the pyramid.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, the anxiety/excitement sky-rocketed when I got the call. For the first week I didn't work at all--besides the fact that I was on vacation, every time I thought of writing I thought of the contest and completely derailed my intentions. Luckily I've produced what I hope to be my 4th quarter entry (assuming I don't miraculously earn a top spot) since then. Thanks for the encouragement! Can't wait to read your winning story!
ReplyDeleteWoohoo, Marina. Gratz on the finalist. Hopefully you win ;) (not a totally selfless wish, after all, the more good writers win, the less ya'll compete with me next quarter *grin* )
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
ReplyDeleteHaha, that's a good point! Never thought of it that way-- getting rid of the competition.
Congrats Marina, getting that phone call is certainly a big deal (by the time it comes, having not heard how our submissions are going, I think it's very easy to fear the worst). All the best for the final results!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! From a fellow Arkansas writer.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much :)
ReplyDelete