Hello!
I’ve been encouraged by several people to begin a writing blog. Though a great idea, I didn’t start one until now for fear no one would read it. But, of course, like most forms of communication, including fiction writing, the words are really more for my own benefit than others. Here I can muse about my growth as a writer, and if others find it interesting and chose to read it (or even better, comment on it), then that’s great too.
So, who am I? I’ve never been good at talking about myself, but here goes:
I am a twenty three year old university grad (degree in Greco-Roman history) with aspirations of becoming a professional freelance fiction writer. I’m lucky enough to find myself in circumstances where I can dedicate myself full time to this career path, and have been for the past year.
My primary focus is on Science Fiction at the moment, with a few Fantasy and Horror/Thriller tales thrown in the mix. I have no desire to put myself in a box when it comes to creativity, however, and in the future I’m sure I will explore a plethora of other genres.
I write all lengths of fiction, but the manuscripts I have out to the markets right now are short stories and novelettes: 2,500 words to 13,000 words in length.
I began submitting my short stories to the markets in December of 2009. I start with the top pro-paying market and work down with the philosophy that this is the best method to discover where I lie skill-wise. I subscribe to the idea that “cream rises to the top,” (Thank you K.D. Wentworth). Top stories get published in top markets, and there is no magical wall that keeps new writers from breaking into the business. I am responsible for my own successes and failures. If I’m not cream yet, though, no worries. Writing professionally is all about learning. Doing anything professionally requires practice and education. My skills are constantly evolving, and there is no shame in being an unpublished aspirant.
I look at this as my business. I am as dedicated to it as any nine-to-five. I get up and go to work every day, increasing my inventory of sellable items.
Ah, seems again I haven’t been very good at revealing myself. The above is essentially Marina the Author, not Marina the Person. I don’t give myself away so easily.
Hmm, ok, I love purple, chocolate, and getting paint all over my studio.
So, I intend this blog to chronicle my adventures in writing and (hopefully) publishing. Thanks for stopping by!
~Marina
P.S. There’s an old “supposedly” that says on average authors get 100 rejection letters before their first professional sale. So, to test that theory I’m keeping a rejection count. Today that number sits at: 4
P.P.S. This is probably a temporary blog. I have a web domain that a certain someone keeps saying he will set up for me, but as he is being delinquent in his fiancé duties [ ;-) ], I'm delving into the blog world on my own.
Hi Marina,
ReplyDeleteI followed your link from the WotF forum over to here. (I, too, am waiting for a response from WotF.)
I had not heard that statistic about 100 rejections. It sounds so daunting! Think positive. Some writers will not receive so many before they sell.
I received 43 rejections before I made my first pro sale. 48 if you count submissions which were not responded to due to being "lost" or where the market died while my story was in the queue. That includes poetry and queries to agents. If I count ONLY short story rejections, I received only 28 before my first pro sale. My first pro sale was also my first sale anywhere (I, too, started at the top and am working my way down), not counting the sale of a "twitter-story" (140 characters), which I sold last summer.
29 more rejections came before my second pro sale.(25 if you count only short story submissions.) That brings my total up to... 43 if you're counting only short stories, 76 if you count every non-sale response I've ever gotten, for stories, novels, and poetry. So it's still possible for me to make enough pro sales to earn SFWA pro status before I've even hit 100 rejections.
Maybe some writers need to get 100 rejections to break in. Some will take less. Perhaps you will break in much faster, maybe even faster than I did. Good luck!
Also, don't forget to enjoy the writing. It's all well and good to make this your business, but something is lost if it becomes such a serious business that it's not fun to write anymore.
In any case, I enjoyed your post!
Good luck! :D
ReplyDeleteI'm at 48 and published one story a small press anthology, so I guess that's the halfway mark? Go go go !
That's an excellent attitude. Keep those rejections coming, and let us know what you learn along the way. It's all about persistence, they say. I maintain it's also about learning craft and honing innate storytelling skills, but without persistence none of that stuff matters, right?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments, all, and the encouragement!
ReplyDeleteHey! Followed you over from the WotF forum. Got my rejection in the mail a few days ago ... and yet I'm still checking the Q2 forum daily. Must be habit. Oh well, good luck with your writing. I'll be following your progress (if you continue the blog).
ReplyDeleteMy advice? Don't count your rejections. What's the point?
Also -- excellent choice becoming a writer. That huge red growth on your face would probably preclude you from television and movies.
Jason,
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting! I count rejections with the "goal" of 100 in mind. It's my way of turning a negative into a positive.
And yes, TV wouldn't be kind to my flower-face, lol.
For me, it was 138 rejections and roughly 870,000 unpublished words. So I overshot the one standard and undershot the other -- 1,000,000 words before you begin selling. The important thing, in my opinion, is to remember that you're learning with every story. Depending on what your skill/talent level is when you start, it may take you less time. It may take you more time. Based on your Finalist status at WOTF, you might be further down the track than others.
ReplyDeleteYep, remembering that it's a learning process is key. That's how we keep the rejections from hammering past our walls and barreling through our self-esteem, right?
ReplyDelete