Thursday, May 5, 2011

Childhood Dreams

Have you ever noticed how becoming an adult lets you be an even bigger kid?

I recently returned from my first trip to Washington DC.  I saw a lot, but my favorite was the Smithsonian. I only had time for two and a quarter of the museums, and I knew I couldn't miss out on Natural History or Air and Space.  

Yep, I wear my geek badge proudly.

So, my husband and I were walking through an exhibit of planetary photography when he came up with a great idea: We should decorate our bedroom with Hubble pictures!

Remember those glow-in-the-dark stars you begged your mom to let you stick to your ceiling?   I mean, come on, what nerdy little kid didn't want a space-themed bedroom? 

And now I get one!  Only no plastic stars for me.  We're going all out.  It's the super duper, totally awesome, beyond-that-seven-year-old's-wildest-imagination version.

How about you?  Anything you wanted as a kid that you realized you can have--but better--as an adult?

~Marina

Rejections: 29     

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marina. 29 rejections: how many acceptances? Just curious. Couldn't find that stat on your blog, but I haven't read all of it quite yet, just thumbing around at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi eaf! Welcome, glad you found me :)

    Well, I'm a newbie. I've got one Writers of the Future finalist story to my name, but that's about it. No acceptances yet.

    But there's a stat out there that says it takes the average author 100 rejections before they get their first acceptance. Publicly counting my rejections, with the goal of reaching 100, is my way of turning a negative into a positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I can understand trying to turn a negative into a positive. I've never been good with rejection.

    Once you crack it, I think things get easier, and success builds on itself.

    When you do get accepted, it would be nice to see that on your byline, and where it was published. To give the rest of us hope, ya know.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do. Thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had those stars (and planets, as accurately aligned around my fan as I could get them (the scale never quite worked, I'm afraid.)) My parents' ceiling still bears the scars from where I scraped the texture off to make the planets stick properly. Have fun with designing your bedroom!

    Several years ago, at a home and garden show, hubby and I discovered a place that will paint a real starscape (glow-in-the-dark, of course) on your ceiling (and partway down the walls.) They will do the stars as they appear on any day of the year, and I think cost between $100-$200 (depending on the size of the room.) We always thought it would be cool to do our wedding night, and do our kids' rooms in the nights of their birth. We have not, however, splurged yet, as we know this house is not the one we'll be in forever and that's not something we'd want to do knowing we'd leave it behind. But anyway, that's something you might want to look into. I probably have the name of the company somewhere (though whether they operate beyond Colorado, I have no idea.) Send me an email or comment such on my blog if you want me to try and find it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that sounds so neat! Probably a long-shot that they'd operate all the way out here, but perhaps I might be able to locate a local company with a similar product.

    Hope you too get your grown-up starry-night bedroom some day!

    ReplyDelete