Nope, didn’t win. Yeah, bummer, but I’m not super disappointed, to tell you the truth. Well, I’m disappointed, but I don’t feel bad about it.
From the beginning of my wait I refused to let myself fantasize about winning. That kept me pretty positive. When I got the call from Joni telling me I hadn’t won, I focused on the good things she had to tell me. Two of the judges really liked it and had good things to say to her about it. Awesome. The contest would also like to hold onto it for possible inclusion in the anthology, which is definitely a plus.
So, I’m not upset. Actually, my fiancé was way more upset by the news than I was. I had to remind him that KD Wentworth said it was the toughest quarter to date, and I was a contributor to that.
You know how people at award shows always say, “It was an honor just to be nominated,” after they lose and they’ve got this tone in their voice that says, “Screw this award”?
Well, it is an honor just to be nominated, and I really mean it. There’s no way that I could have expected to come that close to winning in the short amount of time I’d been writing with a career in mind.
I realized about two weeks ago that my Q2 finalist was only the second short story I’d ever written for myself (not for school). I thought some more and realized it was only the 7th I’d written in my entire life, dating way back to that first one in 4th grade.
It was my first attempt at writing a short story after I’d made the commitment to a writing career (My Q1 entry was something I’d written four years previous). Since I’d spent the first 6 months of this new career trying to spew out a novel, the short story attempt ended in a novelette, but still.
I’d never tackled a story that spanned millennia before. And I’d never written a story with 7 distinct POVs before. And I’d never attempted to write anything in the realm of hard science before.
So, my Q2 entry was largely experimental. I finished it feeling it had been an exploratory piece. I felt it was a good story, but not something I’d built on a tried and tested foundation.
It was the most agreeable thing I’ve ever written. It’s 13,000 words and I wrote it in three consecutive days. Sure, for some people that’s no big deal, but up ‘til that point I’d been lucky to get in 1,000 words a day.
Having it picked by KD was a proud moment for me, a real accomplishment in itself. Even if I didn’t win, someone liked it. A professional in the field liked it, and that means the world to me.
And now I’ve been told that two other judges liked it. So I’ve got three stamps of approval. It means I started off down the trail in the right direction. If I keep putting one foot in front of the other I’ll reach the goal someday.
In summary, I didn’t win, but I’m still on top of the world :)
Congrats to the winners! Especially regular WotF forum frequenter, Patty Jansen, who won first place :)
~Marina
Well, that's good! I always like when a short story gets written down fast, it's more coherent.
ReplyDeleteSorry you didn't win, but I'm glad you're upbeat about it. Hard science with 7 POVs that spans a millenia, eh? Wow, I've never tried that. In fact, I've never done more than 2 POVs. Just keep working and something will come, sooner or later.
ReplyDeleteDavid- totally agree. Gives it a nice, seamless consistency. And it feels great to be so in the zone.
ReplyDeleteEileen- thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I was a bit skeptical as to how the many povs might pan out, but ended up pretty good, I guess. There are 4 in the current short I'm working on, and it feels like a lot. Hopefully it'll turn out.
It was interesting writing a story that spanned several thousand years while trying to make sure the characters were just as interesting as the plot. I tied them together by giving them subtle and not so subtle ways to relate.
Have to admit, you've really piqued my interest with all this talk about your story. I hope it's included in the anthology just so I can read it soon!
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks! To make it even more confusing, the 7 POVs don't even correspond to 7 different characters...
ReplyDeleteCongrats again on getting finalist Marina. When I got the finalist call I was ecstatic. I suppose hoping for a win with a finalist story is a bit like submitting through normal publishing channels - it's a shot in the dark, because we don't know what else is sitting on the editor's desk. At least you know you've a solid writing process - and hopefully you'll turn that into a win in an upcoming quarter (are you in Q3/Q4?)!
ReplyDeleteHey, Ben! Thanks :-) Yep, I've got Q3 and 4 entries, so, with any luck I'll get to meet you come next year.
ReplyDeleteMarina, your copy of WOTF 26 is on the way. Regarding the non-winner, may I suggest that you put it out to Stan Schmidt at Analog SF? State in your cover letter that it was a Finalist for WOTF. Stan might want to buy it. Meanwhile, definitely keep submitting. Every year the Contest has 12 empty seats, and someone has to sit in them. If you can't score in one quarter, you might in another. Keep stretching yourself and doing things just a bit outside your envelope, and eventually you will win! Good luck. And, as always, the best "homework" for winning WOTF is to read the recent volumes and get a feel for what does win.
ReplyDeleteYay! Can't wait for it to get here.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your encouragement, it means a lot :-). I've let Joni hold onto the story in hopes it might get included in the antho (but its word count is rather high, so, hrm...), but as soon as it gets the official boot it's off to Dr. Schmidt, for sure. Your recent success there has given me hope :-).
Joni lets you shop the MS while you wait. I did that with "Outbound" which eventually sold to Stan Schmidt. So don't feel like you can't send it out. If it does sell elsewhere, you just have to let Joni know. They haven't done any published finalists in at least a couple of years, and I doubt they will do them for vol. 27 either. But, I could also be wrong. It's your choice. And GOOD LUCK!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow, didn't know that and didn't think to ask. Thanks for the heads up!
ReplyDelete